Hong Kong is known for its expansive skyline and deep natural harbor. With small land mass and a population of seven million people, Hong Kong is one of the most densely populated areas in the world.
Hong Kong became a colony of the British Empire after the First Opium War (1839–42) up until 1997 when it was returned to Chinese control.
As one of the world's leading international financial centers, Hong Kong has a major capitalist service economy characterized by low taxation and free trade, the Hong Kong dollar, is the eighth most traded currency in the world.
The density caused development of modern architecture which made Hong Kong the world's most vertical city. Hong Kong has one of the highest per capita incomes in the world. Hong Kong has the highest public transportation usage in the world (exceeding 90%). According to estimates Hong Kong had the longest life expectancy in the world in 2012. Hong Kong also has the highest average IQ score in 81 countries around the world.
We recommend you stay in the city for at list 3 nights. Main sights recommended are:
- Kowloon Peninsula- see: Tsim Sha Tsui (TST), Nathan Road, Peninsula Hotel, Temple Street Night Market.
- Hong Kong Island-shopping areas: Harbour City, Pacific Place, Stanley Market, Causeway Bay, Cat Street.
- Victoria Peak in Hong Kong Island.
- Aberdeen floating village and floating Jumbo restaurant.
- The Big Buddha and Po Lin Monastery in Lantau.
See more tourist information on Hong Kong including sights, hotels, etc.