Shanghai is the largest city by population in China and the largest city by population in the world, with a total population of over 23 million as of 2010. It is a major financial center and the busiest container port in the world. Shanghai sits at the mouth of the Yangtze River flowing into the East China Sea.
Following the British victory over China in the First Opium War, the city flourished as a center of commerce between east and west, and became the undisputed financial hub of the Asia Pacific in the 1930s.
Shanghai is a very popular tourist destination renowned for its historical landmarks.
We recommend you stay in the city for at list 3 nights. Main sights recommended are:
- Stroll along The Bund water front and see the beautiful skyline of Pudong district.
- Shop in Nanjing road, one of the world's busiest shopping streets.
- Take the elevator to the 88th top floor of Jinmao Tower in Pudong district and enjoy the view of the city.
- Visit The Oriental Pearl Tower a distinct landmark in the area.
- Visit the World Financial Center, the tallest structure in Mainland China.
- Visit Yu Garden in the Old City of Shanghai.
- Visit the Shanghai Museum, considered one of China's first modern museums.
- Take The Bund Sightseeing Tunnel train and experience memorable special multimedia effects.
Travel to the city of Suzhou called "Venice of the East" and visit the Humble Garden and Fisherman's Garden. Take a Boat Ride through the beautiful canals of the city.
See more tourist information on Shanghai including sights, hotels, etc.